Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Shrines & Retablos




I have been obsessing all day about shrines and retablos. Not in the sense of an altar to the Bunny Goddess Charlotte- but more of a memorial to her - a Dios dos Meurtos kind of things with elements that celebrate her. I have found some incredible peruvian ones on line. The Jiminez family does incredible ones. I would love to save up for one - a reward for a job well done? Which job? I was rewarded already for the Dotson project with my Ebay Oilily sweater. Maybe after I finish helping out Diane in Cambridge with her guestroom and dressing room.

I found this website/blog from a woman that does the most amazing altered books (altAred books?) - again - like Retablos, but with different found objects. maybe I'll do something like that.

Then, someday, I would like to make one for the real focus of prayer. Maybe a garden grotto too. Not Mary on the half shell or Francis with the bird seed. I wil have to think about how to do that one. I learned so much about diferent shrines when researching on the internet - the difference between Zen, Budhist, Tibetan shrines and altars. It is comforting to think of some sort of Altar where you can focus and meditate.

For now I will make a Charlotte retablo and work on an altar later!

No comments: