Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Wreck of the Pocohontas


Last summer we were practicing painting with greys and our assignment was to paint a lighthouse using tones of grey not using black or white. Creating grey out of colors only. We a were given a lighthouse because of the typical grey days you get - of course - the purpose of a lighthouse.

Well. I hate lighthouses almost as much as Pears and Shells (sorry, Valerie) but Valerie told me about a lighthouse that Celia Thaxter grew up on and I had fun researching her - I love her writing and art and was thrilled to hear that when she lived on the Isle of Shoals lighthouse with her father one storm was so bad that they had to bring the cow into the kitchen and the chicken coop floated away! There is also a poem about "The Wreck of the Pocahontas" which describes a terrible shipwreck off the Island one night.... well it all came together for my lighthouse painting.

1 comment:

Crafts a la Mode said...

Well, isn't this the cutest lighthouse painting I've ever seen! Love it and love the story. My art teacher says to almost never use pure white - always mix some color, however small, into the white. Loved visiting. I'm adding you to my favorite blogs. Linda

http://twosucculentsisters.blogspot.com